Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Shining Star Has Fallen

Today is December 6th, the day Finland celebrates its Independence Day.  Each year on this day there is a celebration at the palace of the Finnish president.  This year's celebration was missing one of Finland's brightest literary stars.  Matti Yrjana Joensuu, my uncle (my mother's brother) was supposed to attend, wearing his new suit and medals of honor.  Unfortunately, Matti passed away in his home at the age of 63 on Sunday, December 4th 2011.  Losing Matti has left an enormous emptiness in the hearts of his sisters and others who loved him.  My love, prayers and thoughts go out to everyone who is missing him tonight.  Maybe in a different world or maybe if he had had more time, I would have had the chance to get to know him better.  For now, I'll just hold on the the faint childhood memories I have left of him.  Matti's death is a reminder to us all to hold on dearly to the ones we love.

silver star by Sofia Katariina
silver star, a photo by Sofia Katariina on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment